Surplus Federal Property
Available at the former Fort McPherson
For State and Local Homeless Service Providers
As required by the Base Closure Community Redevelopment and Homeless Assistance Act of 1994, the McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority (“MILRA”) is seeking Proposals from State and Local eligible parties, including homeless services providers that provide or propose to provide services to homeless persons and/or families residing in Fulton County and its municipalities, for real property determined to be surplus by the Department of Defense at Fort McPherson in Atlanta, Georgia.
Proposals must be submitted no later than 12:00 noon, Monday, January 13, 2015 to Darlene Hawksley at MILRA, 1794 Walker Avenue, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310. A Mandatory pre-proposal workshop will be held at MILRA at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 6, 2014. Please register for the workshop before November 3, 2014 by contacting Ms. Hawksley at Darlene@mcphersonredevelopment.com or 404-477-6767. Visit www.mcphersonredevelopment.com
To access the Request for Proposal, please select the link below:
Homeless Provider 2014 Final(1).pdf
Memorandun of Understanding- October 8, 2014
Tyler Perry Studios’ commitment to develop and operate a film studio on part of the Fort McPherson property provides an historic opportunity to redevelop 330 acres in Southwest Atlanta. It also opens the door for the McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority to redevelop an additional 144 acres along Lee Street and Campbellton Road.
The benefit to the community of the Tyler Perry acquisition is threefold:
- The deal provides funds needed to acquire the former Army base from the federal government without using local taxpayer funds. Without this funding the site would continue to languish;
- The film studio will create hundreds of permanent jobs, thousands of production jobs, opportunities for tourism, and it will catalyze additional investment in the surrounding community;
- The redevelopment of the remaining 144 acres, an area about the size of the Atlantic Station redevelopment, will remain under public control, be guided by the redevelopment plan established with significant community input in 2010, and keep consistent with our mission to better connect to the surrounding communities, generate jobs, promote economic development, and support the homeless.
We are pleased to share with the community the Memorandum of Understanding between the Redevelopment Authority and Tyler Perry Studios that summarizes the pending transaction. In particular the MOU:
- outlines the basics of the real estate transaction including land description, price, payments/phases, schedule, earnest money, inspection period and exclusivity;
- sets a tight 60-day timeline for the Redevelopment Authority, the U.S. Army, and Tyler Perry Studios to execute the transaction; and
- sets the stage for more specific negotiations, due diligence and planning to complete this complex transaction.
We have already publicly shared many of the details in the MOU about the transaction, including price, acreage, target dates, and overall plans for the site. We are releasing the MOU document publicly for the benefit of all constituents, answering an open records request. We are grateful to Tyler Perry Studios for further supporting transparency and openness by agreeing to release the MOU.
Read the full Memorandum of Understanding →
Property Transfer Timeline
Transfer and Development Status Report Presentation
Our reuse plan has been accepted by HUD. Learn more on the AJC: McPherson redevelopment plan approved
McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority
1794 Walker Avenue SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30310
McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority (MILRA) Board Meeting
The next McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority (MILRA) Board meeting originally scheduled for Thursday, October 16, 2014 will be rescheduled. Once determined, the new date and time will be posted to this web site.
Community Engagement Subcommittee Meeting
The next scheduled Community Engagement Subcommittee meeting is to be determined.